International Auto Shipping
Home Quote FAQ Testimonials Links Contact Us Customs Regulations

Auto shippingMotorcycle shipping
Boat shippingOversized cargo
Household movingFor free quote, please call 888-288-6744

International  Auto Shipping- your one stop solution.Get free quote now!



  • Bill of lading
  • Passport(s) for all family members.
  • Packing list, specifying contents. If alcohol is in the shipment, the package number must be indicated for customs inspection.
  • Declaration of Accompanied Personal Effects and Unaccompanied Articles (Customs form #C-5360).

    This document is supplied in the airplane or upon arrival at the airport in Japan. This form must be declared to airport customs in duplicate and must be authorized without the customs officer’s stamp. The shipper is allowed only one chance to declare the shipment


    Personal effects and professional equipment are free of duty if they have been in the shipper’s possession and use for at least 12 months and are for the continued use of the owner in his new residence. The owner must have more than one-year visa status. Import Consumption tax 5% of CIF. Goods should be cleared within six (6) months of the shipper’s arrival in Japan. Pre-clearance of the household goods shipment is not possible with customs.


  • Firearms
  • Explosives
  • Swords or daggers if the blade is more than 15 centimeters in length
  • Narcotics
  • Pornographic material of any type, including sculptures
  • Plants, trees and vegetables
  • Articles specified in the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora
  • PETS

    Dogs and cats are normally permitted entry if a certificate of vaccination for rabies, and a health certificate are provided. The certificate of vaccination must be dated no less than 30 days but no more than 180 days before entry into Japan. The period of quarantine for pets is at least 16 days but may differ according to country of origin.


    Duty free importation of alcoholic beverages is limited to 3 bottles (760cc or ml) per person over 20 years old. The average duty over the limit will be the following:

  • Yen 1,000 per 760 cc or ml bottle of whiskey and cognac
  • Yen 300 per 760 cc or ml bottle of rum, gin, vodka and other liqueur
  • Yen 150 per 760 cc or ml bottle of wine
  • Yen 70 per 350 cc or ml can of beer

    The following may be imported duty free as long as the total weight does not exceed 500 grams:

  • 200 pieces of cigarettes per adult
  • 100 pieces cigars (if there is no other tobacco)
  • 500 grams pipe tobacco

    Motor vehicles are very likely to be subjected to mandatory modifications to meet emissions and safety regulations. This will cost between yen 500,000 to yen 800,000 depending on the model and condition of the vehicle. Clearance takes at least two weeks. Documents required to clear a personal vehicle duty free will be:

  • Purchase receipt
  • Registration certificate
  • Copy of drivers license
  • Proforma invoice
  • Customs declaration form C-5360 on which the vehicle must be declared upon the owner’s arrival
  • Passport copies
  • Alien registration certificate to be obtained from the city office of the owner’s residency
  • Application of Duty Exemption on Automobile which can be obtained in Japan after arrival
  • An oath certifying the vehicle will not be sold or transferred to another person within two years of the date of permit. This can be obtained in Japan after arrival.
  • Manual or catalogue to determine the specification of the vehicle
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    NOTE - Customs regulations are subject to change at any time. The proceeding information is a brief summary of customs regulations applicable to household goods shipments to this destination and is being provided for general guidance to assist our Agents and Customers. Since such regulations are subject to change without notice, Rinkens Moving International cannot be held liable for any costs, damage, delays, or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance. Always double check with your local embassy or consulate.